Sunday, September 16, 2007

Little guy, big love


Sorry for the pause between posting but we've had some pet drama going on here lately. Two posts back I mentioned our cat wasn't feeling so great. Unfortunately, after several prescriptions and many vet visits since then things have not improved. The vets aren't so sure what's going on. It could be the parasite they originally figured, but they think there is probably also something in addition to that, maybe a feline immune deficiency virus. All of his blood counts have been way down and while they seem to have levelled off a little, they still haven't improved the way they should from the medicine he's being given. And from his behavior we can tell he's feeling pretty crappy too. Allister is 11 years old and the vets have said this is a situation he will have to deal with until the end of his life. Whether that end is days, months or weeks away no one will tell us. He still has his good moments, he still wants petting sometimes, this morning he managed after 3 tries to jump up on the couch to sit next to me. I took the picture above when he felt like sitting by the door and watching leaves blow around for a few minutes this afternoon. But most of the time he secludes himself off in a dark corner exhausted. He barely, barely eats and he never comes upstairs anymore. Call me a crazy cat lady but seeing our friend like this has us just at our ends. Allister has been with us for 11 years. And in a house of 2 people a little pet starts to play a very big role. He has a big personality and he is loved very much. When he is down, 1/3 of our household is suffering and he carries our hearts on his shoulders. Maybe I'm a big sap but it just has not had me in the blogging frame of mind lately. There have been pity parties. A lot of crying and a lot of chocolate eating... It just sucks.

Crying, eating, knitting I suppose. Tracy reminded me knitting helps so it's worth a shot. If it doesn't work maybe I'll try gin. Or gin and knitting together. I don't see how it could make things worse. So far though it's just been knitting.



Those are the Waving Lace socks growing. And this is the Here and There Cables Scarf growing.



Eventually I'll be back into it. Concerned about the stash, excited about the new Knitty. Later though. For now it's just one stitch after the other. Counting each day as a blessing...

6 comments:

sunneshine said...

So sorry to hear about Allister! Sending you and him good thoughts.

The socks and scarf both look great! I really love the color of the scarf!

Hope this week looks up...

Tracy said...

Both the socks are scarf look great! You know I'm already feeling for you guys and Allister. If you want you can borrow (have) some birds to lighten the mood over there. They're a chatty bunch sometimes but I'm such Allister would enjoy their antics :-)

Octopus Knits said...

I'm so sorry Allister is sick (you are not at all a crazy cat lady for feeling so torn up about this -- you're a perfectly sane cat lady). I'm also thinking good thoughts for you guys.

The socks and scarf are just beautiful.

lobstah said...

Our home situation is the same--two people, one cat--and we feel just the same about our kitty as you do about yours! So no, you are not a crazy cat lady (and even if you are, so much the better ;) I'm sending my thoughts to Allister and hope that he starts feeling better really soon.

Karin said...

I am so sorry to hear about your cat. It's just me and my two kits (and the boyfriend, often) in my house and i totally understand the role pets play when you're in a house with just one or two adults.

on an unrelated note, jana, if i remmeber correctly you have a very tall husband. My boyfriend is 6'5". I want to make him a sweater, i'm using yarn one step up from worsted (chunky?). How many yards do you think I'll need?? i've never made a sweater for someone this big before!!!

Rachel said...

Im sorry to hear about your kitty. It really stinks when someone you care for isnt doing well. I will do what the other commenters are doing and send good thoughts your way.

HUGS