Sunday, June 04, 2006

I started my Christmas knitting...

Can you believe it??? No neither can I, but there it is-the beginning of the Forbes Forest scarf from Scarf Style.

I had originally purchased this yarn for another scarf from that book, Backyard Leaves. But it's not the yarn named in the pattern and when I started to get close to starting and was facing facts I realized the yarn was much better suited to this pattern, and this pattern is actually better suited for the recipient. So it's all good.

I had also bought myself a couple of goodies-the pair of Lantern Moon needles I bought for inspiration will have to wait until the next time I need a size 7. (Aren't those plastic Lion Brand purple needles just so sexy instead? Hey-they get the job done right?) I also bought myself this little tool to help me with my chart reading. (I'll blog more specifically about that later when I have a good picture of myself using it. Hint-it's awesome!) And so far the chart reading has gone pretty smoothly. While this scarf is probably the slowest knit scarf for me ever (what you see took me about 7 hours spread over 3 nights so far) I am really enjoying it and learning so much. Besides knitting bobbles and popcorns for the first time and learning about those, I think I'm just getting a lot more comfortable with chart symbols in general. I'm starting to try to know what cable is coming up by the symbol itself and not just referring to the key all the time. And on the wrong side rows I realized I'm really just repeating the stitches below. So the whole thing just feels very intuitive and I really feel like I'm doing something very new that will help me down the road with other projects. Very, very cool.

3 comments:

Kari said...

That is awesome! I love the pattern and the color.

EK said...

Pretty. And if the intended recipient doesn't want it, I would be glad to take it : D

Dorothy said...

I just may have to get off my hinney and learn how to read charts that I have not drawn myself! That is looking really good!