Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A knitting group on the road...

So I finally finished these from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch.


Sorry for the crappy grey photo. I've been working a ton of hours lately and not often home in time to catch any natural light for pictures. Anyway, I did finally get used to the really stretchy Cascade Fixation yarn and actually felt pretty comfortable with it. I probably will use it again at some point, it's a stretchy/cottony type sock that would be perfect to wear in summer or in warmer climates. (hmmm...) And I'm happy with the stitch pattern, it was pretty easy and kind of cute I think. But it's onwards and upwards with this book, with stitch patterns that go up to 12 stitch repeats, it will probably be awhile before I knit any plain old stockinette socks again.

In other knitting news last night my knitting group spent some time at a local nursing home.


This outing was coordinated by Tracy who I knit with (hi Tracer!) and her mom. Tracy's mom is an activities director at this nursing home near where we meet each week and they thought it might be nice if we dropped by one night for a Stitch and Bitch with the ladies. It was a great night, chatting with the women, some knew how to knit or crochet already but just wanted reminding or just wanted to see what we were working on. One woman was just happy to sit and wind some yarn into balls and just chat with us. All in all it was pretty rewarding and entertaining. A few of the women mentioned they'd like us to come back sometime. I think that is probably the sign of a successful evening.

4 comments:

Karin said...

wow that is SO nice! I bet it was a lot of fun. That was a great idea.

Sayward said...

I love the sock, particularly the colour. I haven't checked out Sensational Knitted Socks yet but I'll definitely put it on my list. (Apparently, my life's secret ambition is to collect sock pattern books...)

I was going to say it's too bad you won't be able to join in for the Olympics, but I'm smiling too hard at your Beijing 2008 icon!

Rachel said...

That is such a great idea and you inspire me to do more!!

Chris said...

You make the best socks EVER! I'm am in awe! As for the knitting olympics...well, it just so happened that it was perfect timeing to start my first sweater. Joe calls it the "Rice Pilaf" Sweater. Check my blog...Yikes!