Monday, February 20, 2006

Works in Progress

I have to admit I've been holding back a little. I haven't posted any pictures of the sweater I've been working on? Why? I guess because it's not that exciting, it's a very simple, traditional top down raglan.


But that's really not fair either. While it's not the most exciting sweater in the world I have to admit I love it!!! It's not for me, but I am really enjoying knitting it, the Cascade 220 is great to work with and it's just so cool how the simple increases create the yoke, and then I can just knit the body and the arms straight down, and the best part of course- there won't be any seaming in the end!!!! Woo hooo!!! That will definitely be a treat!

So there haven't been many progress pictures of that because it really is just knitting, knitting, knitting, but I will post more down the road, maybe when I get the ribbing or a sleeve done, definitely when it's finally finished.

The way I usually pick what I'm working on is I usually have one mindless repetitive project going (the sweater right now) that I can knit in public. I do belong to 2 knitting groups and we tend to get a little chatty:) so it's best if I'm not working on something that requires counting or too much brainpower during those times. (My brainpower is already somewhat limited to begin with, and we know definitely do not ask me to do math while I'm knitting, my brain will explode someday I swear!)

On the other hand I usually do have another project going that might require some attention, or just be there to distract me once in awhile. A lot of time it's socks but the other day I started this beautiful thing


Ok, so it hasn't realized it's full "beauty" potential yet, blocking will help a lot when it's done. This is the Branching Out pattern from Knitty. I'm not using either of the recommended yarns, I'm using the Andean Silk I had leftover from the cardigan I made a few months ago. Which makes me verrry happy, because this is one of the yarns I had in my stash, only 300 yards or so that I had no idea what the heck I was going to do with it. So I'm happy I came across this pattern I had admired a few times already. So another beautiful thing- it's stashbusting! (Yay Karin!!!!) And you have to think that at $3.29 a ball, if I had bought the yarn for this scarf it would have cost me under $10. It's a beautiful thing....

5 comments:

Tracy said...

I love the scarf and the sweater! You are so much braver than I. I see these great patterns and feel intimadated by then and you're all like "yeah, I'll knit that next, what-ever, no big deal." You are a knitting queen!

As for the sweater... while it may not be that exciting for you to knit, I really love it (and the no seaming needed!). I think you may have to give me a copy of the pattern.

Be warned, next week is "word problems" on the knitting math test.

(I'm kidding, I would never do that to anyone!)

Tracy said...

spealing bee not sew good :-(

Karin said...

HAHA!! I am going to make the blogging world love the word stashbusting!

Sayward said...

I've made the Branching Out scarf and I loved the pattern. It was complicated enough to need your attention, but not too overwhelming. I'm sure it will look beautiful with the Andean silk.

The sweater looks great too! I'm all for anything that involves no seaming.

Anonymous said...

The Branching Out looks great so far, and so does the sweater. I'm working on a sweater for the Knitting Olympics, but I didn't factor in time for schoolwork and other obligations when I thought making a sweater in a bit over two weeks would be a doable challenge. LOL

Anyway, I'm sorry I've been so out of touch. I'll do better. In fact, I just sent off a package for you that I THOUGHT went out 3 weeks ago. Turns out it was sitting in a dining room chair (under the table!) all this time. I'm really sorry. I hope you enjoy it anyway.