Wednesday, May 17, 2006

New Socks



Pattern: Diamond Rib lace pattern with an Eye of Partridge heel from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. Not as hard as it looks, I promise. It's an 8 stitch pattern that goes over 8 rows and the most complicated stitch is an ssk. (See and you can do that!) The heel to me is just magic, it's not much different than your normal ribbed heel but I guess somehow the pattern has the slipped and knit stitches staggered and that's how you get the diamond effect there.

Yarn: Oh don't ask... More of that white Kroy stuff I'm cursed with that I will finish all of someday. This was from when I started knitting socks for my family and they would be like "Oh... You want to knit me a pair of socks... Well, most of the socks I wear are white..." And then that lasted 5 minutes because when they started to see all the other stuff I knit with, they abandoned the white very, very quickly.

Overall review: I like these socks, I will enjoy the finished project more than I enjoyed knitting them at times. I made the mistake of starting these as a transportable travel project, I realized however that even though the stitch pattern is not that complex, it does take attention. So these took me awhile because I would only work on them at certain times- Monday night I tried to finish them and was all ticked off at this stupid work related nonsense and I kept screwing up. All in all, I would knit lace socks again. Not this pattern necessarily because I'd rather try something new, but these were a fun adventure, it's really cool seeing how they came out and I can't wait to add them to my wardrobe.

4 comments:

Emma said...

They're beautiful!

Sachi said...

I'm in love with these socks. I'm seeing so much come out of that book that I think I'm going to have to pick it up for myself.

BTW, A couple options for you with the yarn... Self-striping or hand-painted dye. DIY style. Or maybe trade with someone who likes making that kind of a mess (I'm guilty) for roughly equal yardage of something lovely.

Dorothy said...

Those are beautiful socks!

Kari said...

Love the socks! What a neat pattern! :-)